So, last week I had some vacation time to use (use it or lose it), so I took three days for a “staycation”. As it turned out, I took off Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday…before a three day weekend. When I took those days off, I didn’t realize that it was going to bump up against the holiday weekend. So basically, I had a week off from work.
Yes, I had a “to-do” list for my staycation. When you work full-time, sometimes projects that need to be completed just don’t get done on the weekends, so I took the opportunity to get several bigger things accomplished. However, I quickly figured out that I couldn’t let cleaning (my form of procrastination) eat up my entire staycation.
During my time off from work, I thought of five things everyone should do when taking a staycation:
- Take a nap. I’m serious. It’s a simple luxury, but it felt so nice to curl up on the couch and relax. It’s also best if you close the blinds, turn the fan on so that the room is cool and pull a light blanket over yourself.
- Do something you don’t normally make time for. It has been a really long time since I’ve gone to a coffee shop to write, but I made time to do that during my staycation. I tried to go to a couple local coffee shops, but they were all crowded with College of Charleston students, so I ended at Starbucks on King Street in downtown Charleston. I wrote over a thousand words in less than an hour!
- Treat yo’self! To all the Parks & Recreation fans out there, you’ll understand this. Now, I’m not saying that you should go spend a ton of money, but let yourself go into a shop that you’ve always wanted to check out. Buy yourself a new pair of earrings (or in my case, a few books. Hey, Barnes & Noble had a sale!).
- Tackle at least one project you’ve been putting off. To be honest, I’ve needed to clean out our foyer closet and organize my Tupperware cabinet for a long time. Don’t ask me why I kept putting these things off—I don’t know why. But either way, I knocked both of those out, in addition to a couple of other small projects.
- Get outside! Sometimes, when we get so caught up in the busy day-to-day life, we forget to get outside and enjoy a little bit of nature. Yes, it’s ridiculously hot right now, but the two of the mornings I was off work, I got up early (7am) and took Goose and Poppy to the dog park. Not only did it wear them out, but it also gave me a chance to enjoy the slightly cooler morning temperatures in the great outdoors.
Anyways, whatever you do on your staycation, just be sure that you enjoy yourself. Don’t overwork yourself or try to accomplish too many projects. If you’re having trouble sitting down and relaxing (because other tasks you feel as if you should be doing are distracting you), get out of the house! Go see a movie. Try that new restaurant you’ve heard so much about. Treat yo’self!