How many times have you sat around a campfire and roasted a marshmallow on a stick? And then, when it was blackened around the edges and poofy, you stacked it between two graham crackers with a piece of a Hershey’s milk chocolate bar and then smashed it down into an oooey-gooey mess that left your fingers sticky and your tummy full?
S’mores. They have a been a camping tradition for years and years, and countless families have stood around a campfire, enjoying a delicious s’more or two. Today, July 10th, is National S’mores Day, and I wanted to share FIVE FUN FACTS about S’mores with you!
- The first known recipe for s’mores was published in a Girl Scout handbook in 1927 and was originally called “some mores”.
- Campers in Gardners, PA built the world’s largest s’more, which weighed around 267 pounds. It was comprised of 140 pounds of marshmallows, 90 pounds of chocolate, and 90 pounds of graham crackers.
- The Merriam-Webster dictionary suggests that the first use of the word “s’more” was in the 1970s.
- According to The Hershey Company, they produce more than 373 million milk chocolate bars each year, enough to make 746 million s’mores.
- S’mores are most popular in the state of Vermont!
In honor of National S’mores Day, I decided to do something fun at work for our clients. I made S’mores mix and put them in cute little treat bags! I can’t wait to hand them out.
One part Honey Teddy Grahams
One part Mini marshmallows
One part milk chocolate chips
Mix everything together and serve up! Makes a great snack mix or treat for a birthday party or shower of some sort.
HAPPY NATIONAL S’MORES DAY, Y’ALL!!